Skip to main content

This service allows clients to import animals, animal products, animal feeds, Animal/feeds Samples for research purposes etc into the country in order to achieve country wide traceability of the commodities. Animal movement can be for the following purposes; for slaughter, for rearing and translocation.  For all permits the client must return the previous permit before renewal or issuance of subsequent permits and the product or animal clear details must be provided as well as the quantity.

Origin country should not have major Notifiable diseases for such livestock e.g. foot and mouth for cattle, Avian Influenza or Newcastle for chicken and African swine fever for pigs.


Who is eligible?
  • Registered Livestock Keeper (citizens and non-citizens legally resident in Botswana)
  • Unregistered keeper (Diplomats, Tourists, researchers)
How do I get this service?
  • Visit the nearest District Veterinary Office with relevant document and complete an application form.
  • Email DVSpermits [at] (DVSpermits[at]gov[dot]bw) or Call 002673689510/9513 to get help.
What supporting documents are required?

Livestock (Animals)

  • Veterinary-health certificate from country of original,
  • Relevant test results as per Import permit requirements
  • transit permit in case  animals passes through other countries
  • CITES permit in case of game animals


Livestock products

  • Veterinary-health certificate of country of original
  • Relevant test results where needed as per import permit requirements
  • CITES permit in case of game products



Veterinary Samples


  • Veterinary Import  permit
  • Veterinary Export permit
  • CITES permit in case of game products

Livestock Feeds

  • Veterinary-health certificate of           original country           
  • Veterinary Import permit
  • transit permit in case feeds goes through other countries       
  • Properly labelled containers/bags in accordance         with labelling standards covered by the country regulations and CODEX Standards on Labelling
  • NB: Botswana does not allow use of animal protein, antibiotics, anabolic hormones and thyrostatic substances in feeds and it’s a requirement that Exporting country should attest to their absence in the feed Imported into Botswana.


Dogs and Cats

  • Valid rabies immunisation record (For dogs and cats)
  • Kittens and puppies under 3 months old (Proof that  the mother (dam) was vaccinated against at least one month but not more than 12 months prior to giving birth
  • Proof that there are no movement restrictions for rabies control in your origin area.
  • Submit the pets to the office for inspection before issuance of Export  permit


Movement of dogs and cats within SADC region

  • Veterinary Movement           permit (from exporting country)                    
  • Veterinary Health certificate or Health card,           
  • Rabies Certificate
  • Document must be in English or Setswana
How long will this service take?

One (1) working day

Where can I get more information on this Service

Department of Veterinary Services
Private Bag 0032
Tel. (+267) 3689513/3689510 
Fax. (+267) 3972381 

DVSpermits [at] (DVSpermits[at]gov[dot]bw)

Or any nearest District Veterinary Office

Call Centre
Tel. 17755 
moa17755 [at] (moa17755[at]gov[dot]bw)

Opening hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday except, public holiday​s and weekends

News & Updates

Apr 21, 2024
Test by Creator 01
Botswana seychelles seek to build relations
Dec 03, 2023
Botswana seychelles seek to build relations
The acting speaker receives the ambassador of Ukraine to Botswana
Dec 01, 2023
The acting speaker receives the ambassador of Ukraine to Botswana
BIDPA cultivates research skills among Kgalagadi North learners
Jan 31, 2023
BIDPA cultivates research skills among Kgalagadi North learners
Nov 12, 2023
BoFiNet's Robust Connectivity Elevates 2024/2025 Budget Presentation